Thursday, February 09, 2006

Georgia On My Mind

New developments in the life of Mer....not anything new or surprising right? I always have something crazy or whacky going on....sometimes its of my own hand, sometimes its because of outside forces. So when I tell you that its a 50/50 shot that I'm moving to Atlanta, it shouldn't surprise you right?

Well it surprises the hell out of me.....

The scenario goes like this. My brother-in-law works for a world wide organization. Somehow, someway, his job involves always dealing with the big-wigs and he's made nicey nice with the CEO of the company. The CEO has recently left the company to head up another venture in Atlanta. The CEO also LOVES my sister and wants her to be his assistant, plus bring my brother-in-law down to Atlanta to head his own division. We're talking bucu bucks here for both.

How does this affect you Mer?

I'll tell you how this affects Mer, because my sister wants to bring me down there to be her nanny. I don't know all the logistics, but she'd also pay for me to go back to school at night. This is why this offer is worth entertaining - I'd get my degree. Plus my parents are entertaining the idea to move down there as well. If they sold their house here in Jersey, they'd make a killing giving them enough money to pay off debt and start a good new life for themselves - maybe even early retirement.

I'm very torn about this decision. First off, I like New Jersey. Not only do I have my friends here, but I'm 20 minutes from the capital of the world, New York City, I'm 20 minutes from the country (I'm talking Moo Cows here people), and I'm about a half hour from the beach. I have everything at my disposal including some of the best sports in the nation. I have it all.

But if I go to Atlanta, I get to finish school and I don't have to get into debt doing it. But do I want to be responsible for raising my nephew? I barely want kids of my own let alone mold him into a retard like me. My sister is a wonderful mother, I couldn't hold a candle to what she does. Then again, he's only 16 months, I'd most likely have him potty trained by 20 months - no diaper poopy changing - homey don't play that.

On the other hand - its a whole new start. A fresh start to rebuild my life.....but isn't that what I've been doing? Its all very hard. For the most part I've decided to wait and see to make 100% sure they are going to move there. She interviewed over the phone yesterday, but it wasn't all about her qualifications, it was more like, "What is it going to take to bring you on board?" This guy is no joke. How many opportunities are you given like this in a lifetime right? They'd be dumb to pass it up.

Saturday evening the CEO is taking them to dinner to discuss what they want and what it will take. He means business and actually, they've already begun to look at houses down there.

I think for my sister and my folks this is a great opportunity. If I were them, I would do it. But for me, I'm not really sure. I can always move down there later on if I wanted right? Then again if I stay behind I have to sell my car (BOOOOO!!!) and get a second job in order to make rent. One bedroom apartments here are around $900 -$1200/month. Well if I sell my car, then I don't need a second job. But my family will be thousands of miles away and I'd probably only see them twice a year. Even when I wasn't living home I still saw my family at least once a week. This would be a huge adjustment.

There is a lot to consider here and I don't know if I'm ready to make any decisions. I guess I'll just wait and see how their meeting goes on Saturday.

I'm a little sad....this is going to be big any way I slice it.

No comments: